The list below offers technical resources that can support Vision Zero planning efforts, with examples from both Vision Zero and local road safety planning processes.
Reports, Toolkits, and Guides
- Lessons Learned from Development of Vision Zero Action Plans
This report summarizes the Vision Zero plan development processes of two communities—Daly City, CA and Macon-Bibb County, GA. It draws from their experiences and summarizes the common elements and principles applied, including those of the Vision Zero and Safe System Approaches. The report also includes a section on opportunities, challenges, and lessons learned.
- Guide to Developing a Vision Zero Plan
This guide describes the major steps involved in developing a Vision Zero plan, with an emphasis on best practices.
- Guidelines for Creating an Effective Vision Zero Action Plan
This guide helps Vision Zero communities build an implementation plan that is concrete and action driven, while being responsive to the context and needs of the community served.
- Centering Safety at Metropolitan Planning Organizations
This resource helps cities and regional agencies collaborate on safety measurement, funding, policy, and planning.
- Transportation Safety Planning and the Zero Deaths Vision: A Guide for Metropolitan Planning Organizations and Local Communities
This resource provides references to key information for Metropolitan Planning Organizations and local communities to understand and use the safety planning process to work toward the zero deaths vision.
- Local Road Safety Plan: Your Map to Safer Roadways
This “do-it-yourself” provides steps involved in developing a local road safety plan.
- The Space Coast Vision Zero Toolkit
The Vision Zero Toolkit is an online resource developed by the Space Coast Transportation Planning Organization (SCTPO). Based on the experiences of early-adopter cities, the toolkit outlines activities and steps that can help communities move from vision to action.
Examples of Practices