The Office of Safety offers free technical assistance on policy, program, and technical issues to State and local roadway agencies through the Office's technical assistance program. Technical assistance is designed to help agencies to assess, develop, implement, or evaluate effective strategies and programs that reduce roadway fatalities and serious injuries on public roads. Technical assistance is generally delivered through the following mechanisms:
- Referral to an experienced peer or technical expert for support by telephone and email.
- Onsite assistance from an experienced peer or technical expert.
- Training workshop led by an experienced peer or technical expert.
- Facilitated peer exchange conducted onsite or by web conference.
Read the technical assistance guidelines for more information about each of these types of assistance.
Topics on which agencies may seek technical assistance include:
|Within the above mentioned topics, the program may address issues related to Federal-aid safety, including:|
Technical assistance delivered through workshops and peer exchanges generally results in an event report. Reports provide roadway safety practitioners with easy-to-access technical assistance on safety challenges encountered by many of their fellow agencies.
- Focus State Roadway Departure Safety Plans and High Friction Surface Treatments Peer Exchange - August 2014
- Horizontal Curves Peer Exchange - June 2014
- Roadway Departure Six-State Peer Exchange - September 2013
- Horizontal Curves Peer Exchange - May 2013
- Horizontal Curves Peer Exchange - January 2013
- Horizontal Curves Peer Exchange - May 2012
Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)
- West Virginia Peer Exchange: Streamlining Highway Safety Improvement Program Project Delivery - September 2014
- Coordinating State and Regional Transportation Safety Planning through the SHSP Process - May 2013
- Updating Rhode Island's Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP) - March 2012
- Preparing for the Update of New Hampshire's Strategic Highway Safety Plan - May 2011
- Iowa's Comprehensive Highway Safety Plan Update Peer Exchange - May 2011
- Montana Highway Safety Improvement Program Peer Exchange - May 2011
- Vermont Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP) Peer Exchange - January 2011
- California SHSP Peer Exchange - September 2010
- New York SHSP Peer Exchange - June 2010
- Indiana Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) Peer Exchange - May 2010
- Idaho SHSP Update and Peer Exchange - November 2009
- Nevada HSIP Peer Exchange - September 2009
Local and Rural Roads
- Systemic Safety Implementation Peer Exchange - Columbus, OH - November 2014
- Systemic Safety Implementation Peer Exchange - Salt Lake City, UT - September 2014
- Local Road Safety Plan Peer Exchange - Minnesota - October 2013
- Local Road Safety Peer Exchange - LTAP Region 9 - September 2013
- Local Road Safety Peer Exchange – LTAP Region 4 - March 2013
- Local Road Safety Peer Exchange - LTAP Region 1 - October 2012
- Local Road Safety Peer Exchange - LTAP Region 7 - May 2012
- HELPERS (Hazard Elimination Program for Existing Roads and Streets) Poised for Local Safety Challenge
Roadway Safety Audits (RSA)
- Peer Assists Local Agency in Alaska with Rural Road RSA
- Peer Assists with Intersection RSA In Tiverton, Rhode Island
Safety Data and Tools
- University Data Partnership Peer Exchange - March 2012
- Crash Data Improvement Program: An RSPCB Peer Exchange - August 2011